ACCESSIBLITY STANDARDS FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE POLICY
The Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (“AODA”) provides for the implementation and enforcement by the Provincial Government of standards that are intended to achieve accessibility for Ontarians with disabilities in a number of aspects, including the provision of goods and services.
Regulations 429/07 under the AODA sets out the accessibility standard for customer service. This standard applies to Encompass Medical Experts Inc. as well as all other organizations in Ontario that have at least one employee and which provide goods and services to members of the public or to other third parties.
Encompass Medical Experts Inc. is committed to excellence in serving all of its clients, including those with disabilities. The objective of this Policy is to ensure we at Encompass Medical Experts Inc meet the requirements of the customer service standard under the AODA.
As an industry leader, Encompass Medical Experts Inc.’s focus is to raise our client’s expectations by delivering a product of excellence which is defensible, evidence-based and conducted by the most experienced medical experts in their field including the people we service.
This policy applies to all employees, and medical professionals of Encompass Medical Experts Inc. who deal with members of the public or other third parties.
Encompass Medical Experts Inc. is committed to ensuring that this Policy and our practices and procedures governing the provision of our services to our clients with disabilities are consistent with the following principles:
- Dignity and Independence – At Encompass Medical Experts Inc. we will serve our clients in a manner that respects the dignity and independence of persons with disabilities.
- Integration – When possible, we will provide its services in a manner that allows people with disabilities to benefit from the same services, in the same place, and in the same or similar manner, as any other client; in circumstances where integration does not service the needs of all people with disabilities, our services will be provided, where possible, in an alternate manner that takes into account a person’s individual needs.
- Equal Opportunity – Our services will be delivered in a manner that provides persons with disabilities opportunities that are equal to those given to other persons to receive and benefit from such services.
If a person with a disability uses an assistive device, we will take reasonable and appropriate steps, consistent with the above noted principles, to prevent or minimize any interference such device may have upon our delivery of services to such person.
Encompass Medical Experts Inc. will take reasonable steps to ensure its staff are familiarized with the various assistive devices that may be used by people with disabilities while accessing our goods and services.
A person with a disability who is accompanied by a guide dog or service animal will be permitted to enter our premises, and to receive our services, while such dog or animal is with him/her. A “guide dog” and “service animal” is defined as follows:
- Guide Dog – A dog trained as a guide for a blind personal and having the qualifications prescribed by the Regulations under the Blind Person’s Rights Act;
- Service Animal – An animal in regard to which:
(a) It is really apparent the animal is sued by the person for reasons relating to his or her disability; or
(b) The person provides a letter from a physician or nurse confirming he/she requires the animal for reasons related to his/her disability.
A person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person will not be prevented from having access to such support person will not be prevented from having access to such support person while on the premises. However, in order to ensure that doctor/client privilege is not breached, Encompass Medical staff will first clarify with the person with the disability that our organization and staff is authorized to discuss his/her file in the presence of the support person.
Encompass Medical Experts Inc is entitled to require that a person with a disability be accompanied by a support person when on its premises if such support person reasonably is necessary to protect the health and safety of the person with the disability or the health and safety of others on the premises. Determinations regarding the need for a support person will be made reasonably, based on factual considerations concerning the ability of the person with the disability to meet such health and safety requirements.
Staff will receive training on how to interact with persons with a disability who are accompanied by a support person.
When communicating with a person with a disability, Encompass Medical Experts Inc. and its staff will do so in a manner that takes into account the person’s disability. Where applicable, our organization or staff members will seek from the person with the disability directly how best to communicate with him/her. As well, we will offer our communications in alternate formats, should it be necessary.
Approaches for communicating with a person with a disability are set out in our Accessibility Training Program.
NOTICE OF SERVICE DISRUPTIONS
If, in order to use or benefit from our services, persons with disabilities usually use particular services or facilities of Encompass Medical Experts Inc., and there is a temporary disruption in those facilities or services, in whole or in part, we will provide notice of the disruption to the public. This notice will be posted at the entrance of our premises and on the homepage of our website. The notice will include the following information:
- The reason for the disruption
- How long it expected to last; and
- The alternative services or facilities, if any, that will be available during the period of disruption.
TRAINING AND RECORDS
Encompass Medical Experts Inc. will provide the appropriate training to its staff. For new employees, training will be provided within the first two weeks of joining our company. Our training will include:
- Review of the AODA and the customer service standard regulation and its purpose;
- Instruction on how:
- Interact and communicate with persons with various types of disabilities;
- Interact with persons with disabilities who use assistive devices or require the assistance of guide dogs or other service animals or the assistance of support persons;
- How to use any technical devices or equipment that may be made available on our premises to help with the provision of services to a person with a disability;
- What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty accessing our premises or services.
Records of the training provided will be maintained in accordance with the AODA requirements.
Feedback pertaining to this policy or its implementation may be submitted as follows:
- In person
- By telephone to 1-833-626-2626
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Attention: Workplace Safety Committee
Encompass Medical Experts Inc.
240 Richmond Street West
Toronto, ON M5V 1V6
Feedback received will be directed to the appropriate person and acknowledgement of our receipt of such feedback will be used within three (3) business days.
Feedback will be reviewed and considered with a view to determining whether changes to the manner in which Encompass Medical Experts Inc. provides services to persons with disabilities are required or appropriate. Where appropriate, the person who provided such feedback will be advised of any changes implemented as a result of such feedback.
This policy, and related practices and protocols, will be made available, upon request, to any person. Notification of same shall be posted on Encompass Medical Experts Inc.’s website and at a conspicuous place at our premises.
Encompass Medical Experts Inc. will provide a copy of documents, or the information contained in documents, to a person with the disability, as required under the AODA Customer Service Standard in a format that takes into account the person’s disability.
ACCESSIBLITY STANDARDS FOR OUR FACILITIES
Encompass Medical Experts Inc. is committed to designing our facilities free from barriers and accessible to all persons we serve. Encompass Medical Experts Inc. will comply with the Design of Public Spaces Standards with respect to public spaces that are newly constructed or redeveloped in accordance with the requirements of the IAS Regulation.